Delicious Chicken & Rice
Instant Pot or Stove Top
This is a recipe I only tried last week and it has become one of my husband's favourites and I love it too. Possibly not quite as much as he does, but it is very yummy. It is also so very easy and can be made in the Instant Pot (or other pressure cooker) or on the stove top.
serves 2 (just up the amounts for more)
- 6 mini breast fillets (chicken tenders) cut into bite sized pieces ~300g - breast would work well too, but thighs might need a little more cooking.
- 1/2 large onion - diced very small
- 1 large carrot or 2 small ones - diced very small
- 500ml / 2 cups chicken stock (I use low sodium, but just use your favourite)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed - I use lazy garlic and its about a tsp)
- sprinkle of Italian seasoning
- 200g/1 cup Jasmine rice (or white rice of choice)
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 25g/ 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, or something similar
- fresh herbs - e.g. parsley, coriander/cilantro or basil (optional)
Instant Pot Instructions
- Turn on the Instant Pot and choose the saute setting.
- Add the oil, the onions and the carrots and saute for about 5 mins or until the onions are translucent and the carrots are beginning to go tender.
- Add the garlic and stir for about 30 sec.
- Add the chicken and stir around until the chicken is beginning to colour a little.
- Cancel the saute.
- Use a little of the chicken stock to deglaze the bottom of the pot, then add the rest.
- Add in the rice and stir gently so all the rice is covered in the stock.
- Add the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Put on the lid, make sure the valve is on sealing, choose the pressure/manual setting and set for 10mins.
- When the time is up, allow to sit for 5 mins to allow the chicken to rest.
- Release the pressure and open the pot.
- Stir the rice and make sure it hasn't stuck.
- Add the Parmesan and stir through.
- If using fresh herbs, chop them and add them now and stir through.
- Serve immediately.
Stove Top Instructions
- Add the oil to a deep stove top pan that has a tight fitting lid and heat.
- Add the chicken and cook through until almost completely done, then remove and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and add the carrots and the onions and sweat down until the onions are soft and the carrots are beginning to become tender.
- Add the glaric and fry until it become fragrant, 30-60sec
- Deglaze the pan with a little of the stock and then add the rest.
- Add in the rice and stir in.
- Add in the Italian herbs and seasoning.
- Add back in the chicken.
- Bring to the boil and cover with the lid.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 13-15 mins or until the rice is done to your liking and has absorbed nearly all the stock. Add more water if necessary, but there should be enough.
- Turn off the heat and stand for 5 mins with the lid still on.
- Stir to fluff the rice and add in the Parmesan and fresh herbs (if using) and stir through.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is so quick and easy and makes a great, hearty meal. It's also very adaptable and we could add different veg if we wanted to. The secret is the spicing and Parmesan - everything else is up for debate. It would be easy to veggify this by substituting the chicken, either with some chunky veg, or some quorn or tofu, and using a Parmesan substitute that is vegetarian friendly.