Monday 4 May 2020

Recipe: Korean Steamed Eggs - #InstantPot & #StoveTop # Vegetarian #GlutenFree

Recipe: Korean Steamed Eggs

Korean Steamed Eggs 

#GlutenFree #Vegetarian


So I saw this recipe on Youtube in many different places and had to try it. I loved it, but my husband thinks it is the most horrible thing on the planet πŸ˜‚. The texture is like a creme caramel, but it is hot and savoury instead of cold and sweet. It goes really, really nicely with a toasted bagel. Absolute heaven. And there are so many ways to change it up.

I forgot to take pictures, but I will try and remember next time. (I forgot the second time too - sorry - in my defence it was breakfast and I was hungry πŸ˜‰).

The recipe below could easily feed 2 if having something with it, 1 if having it by itself. Nice and filling.

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup stock ( I used chicken, but a nice veggie stock would work brilliantly, or even just water)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Yep, really, that's all - see how herbs and spices could be added to change it up. Some recipes I found online call for finely chopped spring onion (green onion/scallion), but others said that was an optional extra. Ratio of eggs to stock is 1 egg to 1/4cup stock and just go up or down depending on how many it is for.

Variation I tried this morning (yes I wrote the post one day and posted it the next πŸ˜‰) that I came up with while trying to get to sleep last night. So good.
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

  1. Beat the egg and stock together with a fork or a small whisk.
  2. Add the salt and pepper (or other spices of choice) and beat in.
  3. Pour through a sieve into a heat proof container suitable for steaming - I used a ceramic Camembert baking pot I have (and a deep individual pie dish this morning). Two smaller ramekins would also work if dividing the recipe for 2 people.
  4. Add the chopped onion if using at this point.
For the Instant Pot
  1. Put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pot.
  2. Put in the pot of egg mixture on a trivet so it is not in the water.
  3. Put on the lid and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
  4. Use the steam option and put it on for 10 mins.
  5. When the beeper goes off, do a quick pressure release, remove the lid and serve.
For the stove
  1. Set up a deep pan with water in the bottom with a steam rack or something to keep the pot out of the water at the bottom.
  2. Cover the pot in cling film and place the pot on the stand in the pan.
  3. Put on a lid and bring to the boil.
  4. Steam for 15-20 mins until set.
This is a silky smooth egg dish that is a delight to eat. I eat it with a spoon straight from the pot. Nommy.

[Edit - sorry, forgot this earlier Banner Background Photo by Jakub Kapusnak on Unsplash]

5 comments:

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.