Chocolate Chip Cake - no added refined sugar
So as I have mentioned before, I am trying to cut down on the refined sugar in my diet, and hence I am baking with things like honey and maple syrup as sweeteners. This recipe uses maple syrup instead of the brown and white sugar it originally had, so it is not as cookie like as the original, but it is very yummy and the maple gives a wonderful flavour.
I also cut the ingredients by half, since there are only the two of us at home, and it was still more than enough for a family. Just double up if you would like the 24 pieces the original recipe promised.
This is best eaten with a beverage of choice and would be heavenly with a glass of milk, but goes equally well with tea or coffee.
You could also throw in some nuts or some dried fruit if that floats your boat.
- 165g (1 1/3 cups) all purpose flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 85g (3/8 cup) unsalted butter
- 140ml (~2/3 cup) maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 100g (1 cup) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the over to 160C/325F
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a pan and allow to cool slightly.
- Line a 4x8'' baking pan with baking parchment/grease-proof paper.
- Add the flour, baking soda, corn starch and salt and mix together in a bowl.
- Put the melted butter into a large bowl, add the maple syrup and mix together.
- Add the egg and vanilla to this mixture and whisk until it is light brown.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Put the mixture into the lined baking pan.
- Bake for between 25-30 mins depending on your oven until a tooth pick comes out clean.
This cake will keep up to a week in an airtight container and it gets better the second day.
And it's Tuesday!
That means it's Sexy Stories podcast day over at VirginiaWaytes.com. The Manor is taking a 1 week mid-season break, so I have sexy vampires for you on the podcast.
We have the podcast for all the naughty bits, and the eBook for all the plot and the naughty bits.
Forgotten Soul is one of my permanently free eBooks too, so win/win.