Sunday 8 February 2015

Recipe: Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Peanut Butter Cups

I love peanut butter, but I don't really like the peanut butter ice creams on the market, so armed with my new ice cream maker I decided to have a go at my own :). If you've seen my previous Speculoos ice cream recipe, this is based on the same principles.

Lots of recipes have a custard base, but I have found this one to make a very creamy, but lighter texture ice cream. The semi-skimmed milk helps to lift it.

Equipment
Ingredients
  • 250ml (1 cup) semi-skimmed milk (skim milk)
  • 300ml (1 1/4 cup) double cream (heavy cream)
  • 160g (3/4 cup) caster sugar (superfine)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 200g (1 cup) smooth peanut butter
  • 16 mini peanut butter cups, roughly chopped
Instructions
  1. Place all the ingredients except the peanut butter cups into the pyrex jug.
  2. Mix carefully with the small whisk - you are not trying to whisk the cream, just break down the spread so it mixes with the other ingredients so take it slowly. You'll end up with what looks like cream with tiny golden flecks floating in it.
  3. Place the mixture in the fridge for at least 30 mins to chill.
  4. Chop the peanut butter cups into 3 or 4 pieces and place in a bag in the fridge to chill.
  5. My ice cream maker works best if I turn it on 10 mins before using, but check your manufacturer's instructions and turn it on when required.
  6. Pour in your mixture, making sure not to fill it more than 2/3rd (60%) full because ice cream expands as it chills.
  7. Set the timer for as long as your machine recommends - for me it was 25 mins with this recipe.
  8. After 10 mins of churning, add the peanut butter cups.
  9. When churning is complete (the ice cream should be firm and it should be of a uniform colour - all the flecks disappear between 5 and 10 mins before the end) remove it from the machine to the container in which you are going to keep it and put it in the freezer. It will take between 2-4 hrs to finish freezing.
When you are ready to serve remove the ice cream 10 mins before it is required.

4 comments:

  1. I salivated all the way through reading this.
    Thanks for sharing, I will make a copy and give it a try.

    I look forward to reading your posts for the A-Z Challenge. Will you be featuring recipes?

    Cheers, Jenny
    2015 A to Z Challenge Ambassador
    Twitter @PearsonReport
    Blog PearsonReport

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me.
      I don't plan on featuring recipes because they don't really go with my theme, but you never know what I might end up adding in there if I suddenly have an idea. :)

      Delete
    2. I like winging it. The very first A-Z I did in 2011 I signed up literally on April 1st and had a hoot.
      I was a Co-Host in 2012 and felt I needed to have everything ready so I could focus on my duties - I liked that one, but it lost that spontaneous feel.
      In 2013 I went back to winging it and loved it. It's the nature of my beast! LOL
      This year, as an Ambassador, I'll read blogs and say HI, but that's all. So, I'll be back to flying by the seat of my pants. I figure, that's what makes it a challenge for me. :) :)

      Cheers, Jenny
      2015 A to Z Challenge Ambassador
      Twitter @PearsonReport
      Blog PearsonReport

      Delete
    3. You are braver than me :) The first year I winged it, but I was so busy figuring out my own posts I didn't have enough time to look at other people's as much as I would have liked. Last year I had all my posts pre-done and then I found it much easier to hop around the other sites.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.