Monday 8 April 2013

G is for Giggle - Blogging from A to Z April Challenge

Did you know laughing is actually good for you? It is, studies have shown that laughter can ease pain and help fight disease (or so says the Independent).

I like nothing better than a good giggle, hence the title of this blog post. Today I am going to share a few things that make me laugh.

Silly Jokes and Word Play

I like sophisticated jokes as well, but silly jokes are a much maligned source of fun. You know what I'm talking about, the jokes that make you groan as well as giggle. For example, this one was on Bones the other week:

Is it just me or are circles completely pointless?

Or how about:

Two parrots sitting on a perch, one turns to the other and says: "Do you smell fish?"

And this one which I just found at The Oatmeal:

What did the fish say when he ran into the wall?
Dam!

I just love the silliness and in the first one the geekery.

The Life of Brian

I laugh all the way through this film and I have seen my father cry with laughter.

Just in case you have no idea what it's about, it is Monty Python taking the piss out of organised religion. You have Brian, who is a Jew at the time of Jesus, trying to be a rebel against the Romans and gets mistaken for the messiah. It is clever, hilarious and shows just how stupid people can be.

True genius.
Michael McIntyre's Sketch about the Man Drawer


This is one of the funniest sketches I have ever seen. Just watch it and laugh :).

Terry Prachett's Pyramids

This was the first Terry Prachett I ever read and it still makes me laugh just thinking about it. I have enjoyed many Discworld novels, but this is my favourite.

From the fact that the main character is learning to be an assassin, the reverse hangover wine and the seagull; this book had me in stitches. I absolutely love it. If you like Prachett and you haven't read it, you really have to, it's brilliance condensed into a book.
Robin Hood Men in Tights

This is a Mel Brooks film and I think it's his best. It is a piss take of Robin Hood Prince of Theives and it is hilarious. Cary Elwes (you may have seen him in the Princess Bride) is Robin and he's brilliant, as are Dave Chappelle as Ahchoo and Isaac Hayes as Asneeze. Yes, you can see the level of the humour, but this one is funny all the way through.

Amy Yasbeck as Marian is pure and chaste and utterly perfect, as is Tracy Ullman as Latrine the witch. Roger Rees as the Sheriff of Rottingham is sheer genius and there are just too many more wonderful characters to mention. Even Mel Brooks doesn't make me want to strangle him :).

Patrick Stewart is in it for heaven's sake; how could a person not love it :).

Christopher Moore

This man is a genius and most of his books are hilarious. My husband has read nearly all of them and I am slowly working my way through them now as well.

I reviewed Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood pal the other week on my blog here: Review: Lamb... so I won't go in to too much detail, but this is a brilliant book. Levi, known as Biff, meets Joshua (Jesus is his Greek name) when they are six and then spends the rest of his life trying to keep Josh out of trouble. With him being the Messiah, that's not easy. The two thousand years later he's brought back to life to write a gospel for the new millenium.

The book I am reading at the moment is called The Stupidest Angel and it's very funny as well. The angel referred to in the title is the same angel that had Biff writing the new gospel and he's not that bright. He has to grant one child a Christmas wish and he messes it all up, royally.

One of the things Moore is very good at is bringing in characters he's used in other books to new ones. If you read them in order you can see characters going from bit parts to major parts and vice versa and it is brilliantly done.

For comedy, Christopher Moore is a genius.

So I have shared some of the things that make me giggle with you, please let me know some of the things that make you laugh as well.

If you would like to see what all of my posts will be about in advance, click here to see my theme post.
My twin and I are also doing the A to Z Challenge over at our fantasy erotica blog: http://fantasyboysxxx.blogspot.co.uk/

12 comments:

  1. I love a good giggle. I normally get my laughs from comedy programmes, like 'The IT Crowd' and 'Black Books'. Whenever I'm feeling a bit down I put one of those on and I instantly feel better :D

    http://rebeccahgiltrow.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a big fan of both of those shows :). I enjoy them, but I prefer Spaced. Thank you so much for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Well giggling leads to laughter mostly. I love laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE The Oatmeal and Men in Tights. Awesome post.

    Happy A through Z blogging!
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin Hood Men in Tights was hilarious! I also liked another Mel Brooks movie: Young Frankenstein. If you haven't seen it, you have to check it out.

    Blurb: Dr. Frankenstein's grandson, after years of living down the family reputation, inherits granddad's castle and repeats the experiments. Stars some greats: Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman.

    Laughter is truly the best medicine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Young Frankenstein, but I have to say I preferred Men in Tights - I did enjoy Dracula Dead and Loving it, even if it isn't as sophisticated as Men in Tights. I'm quite fond of Spaceballs too :).

      Totally the best medicine :) Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. Giggling is fun, laughter the best medicine...
    Love watching comedy shows, although it's been a while since I had time to do so.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter is a wonderful thing :) Thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  6. I love LAMB! I have the Black Bible looking cover of it :P Christopher Moore is one of my favorites! I couldn't imagine a day without laughing! I live my life to smile and laugh :) I love your blog!!

    Steph
    http://www.texastolondon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just finished The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove :). Brilliant book. The only one I didn't really like was Sacre Bleu.

      Thank you, and thank you so much for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.