Caramelised Onion & Goats Cheese Frittata
Now this recipe is very versatile and you can basically add anything you want, as long as it is cooked in advance or will cook in the same time as the frittata. So for meat lovers, make sure to cook bacon or sausage before adding it in. This method is for the air fryer, but you can also make it in a skillet and pop it in the oven to finish off.
serves 2-3 people or 4 with sides
- Air fryer or oven proof skillet/frying pan and oven
- baking tin that fits in the air fryer
- grease proof paper
- med bowl
- 5 large eggs
- 160ml (2/3 cup) milk
- ~4 tbsp caramelised onions (use your preferred method - I do something like this Instant Pot Caramelised Onions this is A Stove Top Method - they keep in the fridge well)
- 45g (~1/4 cup) soft goats cheese
- 30g smoked cheese (optional)
- handful of frozen peas
- sprinkling of grated cheese (I use a pre-grated four cheese mix, but mozzarella would do, it's mostly for the crust)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Line your baking tin with greaseproof paper on the bottom - as you can see from the image, I use a cake liner, but that's because my springform tin leaks - ask me how I know 😏. In the photos I hadn't cut down my liner, but now I cut off about a cm at the top, which prevents it folding inwards.
- Spread the caramelised onions over the base of the lined tin.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and seasoning (you can add other herbs here too if you like - rosemary would be good).
- Pour into the baking tin.
- Dot in the goats cheese and smoked cheese in little lumps and scatter in the peas.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 150C /300F (my air fryer is an Instant Pot Pro Crisp)
- Pop the frittata in the air fryer and cook for ~20mins or until set in the middle (use a knife to test it). My baking tin is quite deep, so it takes longer, but start at 20 and keep checking.
|As you can see my liner folded over, which is why I trim them now.|
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F
- Heat a little oil in the frying pan on the hob.
- Add the onions on the base of the frying pan and pour in the egg/milk mixture.
- Dot in the goats cheese and smoked cheese and peas.
- Cook until the bottom is just set.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese and pop in the oven for 10-15 mins until set.
This comes out as a light and fluffy frittata which is delicious on its own or served with potatoes and veggies.
Check Out My Fiction YouTube Channel
- 🎤Micro stories as YouTube Shorts Monday - Thursday - for fun quick viewing
- 🕮A longer story every Friday - for story time, over coffee or before going to bed