Turkey (or Chicken) Bake with MushroomsGreat for leftovers
Greetings one and all, it's been a while hasn't it. I've been focusing on VirginiaWaytes.com for the last few months. I hope you have missed me 😁. Blessings of the Christmas season and Happy Holidays - I hope you have had a pleasant one this year, even if circumstances made it less than ideal. I return with a recipe that is great for using up all that leftover turkey and it works well with chicken leftovers as well for the rest of the year.
- 50g (heaped tbsp) butter
- 50g (heaped tbsp) plain flour
- 1 pint/570ml milk
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6x24g packets salt n shake crisps or similar (unsalted potato chips)
- 100-150g (1-1.25cups) grated cheddar cheese
- tbsp oil for frying
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced or equiv garlic puree
- 150g (half a punnet) chestnut mushrooms
- left over turkey
- Preheat the oven to 180C/360F.
- Shred the turkey.
- Slice the mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
- In a frying pan heat the oil. Add the garlic and then the mushrooms and cook until they have released all their water and are looking toasty, but not dried out.
- Mix the turkey and mushrooms and place in the base of an oven proof dish - should cover the bottom in a nice thick layer.
- Melt the butter in a med saucepan.
- Add the flour and stir to make a thick paste.
- Add the milk, little by little, stirring in at each stage until all the milk is combined with the flour and butter mixture in a smooth sauce.
- Add the rosemary and thyme (I grind mine together in a pestle and mortar first because I don't like the large bits of rosemary and it helps release the flavour even more) and salt and pepper.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until it begins the thicken.
- Test for taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Pour the white sauce over the turkey and mushrooms and mix through gently. Don't be too vigorous or the sauce may go grey because of the mushrooms - still tasty, just not as pretty. 😉
- Crush the crisps (potato chips) until they are small pieces, but not too far and place in a bowl.
- Mix the crisps and half the cheese and spread over the top of the turkey and sauce.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the crisps and put in the oven.
- Bake until cheese has melted and is starting to go golden - between 15-20 mins usually.
- Serve piping hot.
We had this today - still have turkey left, but it used up a good deal of it and was delicious. Just up the amounts to feed more people - I did double this today for five people and we have leftovers or the leftovers now 😂