Wednesday 21 August 2019

Recipe: Baked Pizza Mushrooms - #GlutenFree



Baked Pizza Mushrooms - #GlutenFree

Today I bring you a recipe I adapted from one I saw on Youtube! This is an awesome way to take mushrooms to another level and is easy to adapt to any palate, be it carnivore, veggie or vegan.

Prep - 5mins, cooking 30-40mins

Ingredients

  • large flat mushrooms - 2 per person
  • passata - couple of spoonfuls per mushroom - I use the one that comes with basil already in it
  • cheesey product - I use cheddar, but a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella would be good, or vegan cheese
  • toppings of choice - I use courgette (zuchinni) and tinned ham (for 3 mushrooms I used 1/4 courgette and 1/3 200g tin if ham), but anything you can chop small or that lies flat will work
  • garlic to taste - I prefer a dried garlic mill, but minced garlic is good too
  • Italian herbs to taste

Instructions

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 160C/320F fan or 180C/360F for non-fan.
  2. Place the mushroom on a baking sheet on baking paper, stalks up.
  3. Bake for 15-20 mins until they start giving up their water (this is a very important step or your toppings and cheese will end up watery).
  4. Drain and place back on the baking sheet on baking paper stalk side up.
  5. With a sharp knife, trim off the stalks so the cup of the mushroom is flat.
  6. Chop the stalks into 4mm cubes (ish) and put them in a bowl.
  7. Chop your toppings into 4mm cubes (ish) and add to the bowl.
  8. Add the garlic and Italian herbs (I use a good couple of twists of the grinders for each) and mix thoroughly.
  9. Pour the passata into each mushroom cup.
  10. Heap on a good portion of the toppings.
  11. Cover with cheese.
  12. Bake in the oven for 15-20mins until the cheese has melted and started to go golden.
  13. Allow to stand for a minute or so because they will be very, very hot, then eat.
These are absolutely delicious and really do taste like pizza - as long as you like mushrooms on your pizza πŸ˜‚. They are quick and easy, taking minutes to prepare, it's only the cooking in the oven that takes the time.


Banner Photo by Harshal S. Hirve on Unsplash

4 comments:

  1. And to make it even yummier, in my version of this I add a slice of salami or pepperoni to the bottom of the mushroom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now my hubby would love that, but I'm not a salami person 😊 - hence my choice of ham. I love the flavour of salami and pepperoni, but have issues with the texture. That's the beauty of pizza mushrooms - we can all pick our fav toppings.πŸ’–

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hope you find them as delicious as I do. I am making them for dinner this evening.πŸ’–

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.