Thursday 18 April 2019

P is for Penshurst - Penance by Natasha Duncan-Drake - Day 16 #AtoZChallenge


P is for Penshurst

Hello, I hope everyone is stocked up with chocolate for the coming weekend :). It is day 16 of the AtoZChallenge - where has all the time gone? Today is P and I have a drabble ghost story for you.

This little story is inspired by Penshurst, which is said to be haunted by the ghost of a man, reenacting his journey to meet his secret love, the vicar's daughter. Being a vicar's daughter myself, I had to pick this one. I have no idea what the full tale is, but this is my interpretation. It is more sad than scary.

Penance 

by Natasha Duncan-Drake

He never came.

She sits and waits for him, a lonely figure in the window of the big old house. Every day she watches, her vigil never ending, never heeding those who tell her he is gone.

Only the father knows why. Only his hand burns where it held the blood money to pay those who intercepted his daughter's lover. Only he sees the shadowy figure that stands behind his dear child through her days of solitude.

At night the spirit walks the village. Those who see it guess at the truth.

It was never meant to end this way.



Dramatic Reading on Patreon

For this month I am also recording dramatic readings of all the ghost stories. These are available on my Patreon. Some are public, some are patrons only.

Visit Other AtoZers:

AtoZChallenge Master List of Blogs 


Please do let me know what you think of the story and leave me links to your AtoZ entries so I can visit you back. I love to chat.
Do you think love continues beyond death?

4 comments:

  1. Such a sad image... and probably something that happened more than once, forgotten...

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Thoughts of story: Heart-tears.
    2. Links to my a-to-z: http://www.erinpenn.com/blog/
    3. Love continues?: Every hug given a child is passed on to the next generation. Every laugh and shared story. Every caress and lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey just stopping by for the A to Z blogging challenge and I noticed that you do dramatic readings for your Patreon folks. Do you also do your own audio books? I'm thinking about doing it myself either in podcast form or audio book. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - I have not yet recorded a whole audio book. I was thinking of having a go, maybe with one of my novellas, but haven't had a chance to look into it properly yet. I've mostly recorded things for advertising purposes, like sample chapters up until now, when I decided to do some recording for Patreon as well.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.