Thursday 5 January 2017

The Marketing Blues aka Motivation, Where Art Thou?



The Marketing Blues aka Motivation, Where Art Thou?


I have to admit that I am finding it hard to get back in the swing of things now the holiday season is out of the way. It's been so nice not having to do anything to do with books and marketing for a while that I found myself staring at my twitter this morning wondering why I was bothering.

Logically I know why I'm bothering, but a big part of me just wants to eat chocolate and watch TV :).

It's not the writing part that is the problem - I have ideas coming out of my ears, its the whole trying to convince people to buy things that has me wistfully thinking of the relaxing days between Christmas and New Year. Truth be told, I hate marketing. It's not why I signed up to be an author, it just happens to be an integral part of the job these days.

Unfortunately its very necessary.

So now I must kick my posterior into gear and jump back on the horsey, as it were.

It's time to set my alarms that tell me what to do when. They were working really well last year until Windows updated and broke the application on my PC. They wold go off an hour out and then refuse to be turned off. Most off putting. I shall put them in my phone this time ... hopefully that won't decide to go bonkers as well :).

To all those with similar marketing blues, I wish you much luck (because we all know one retweet or one share in the right place can make all the difference :)) and the perseverance to march into the new year strong, with a smile on your face.

We can do this!

Do you have any tips to keep the motivation high and the marketing blues in the background? For that matter, any marketing tips that have worked for you?


~*~

As promised the 2nd chapter of my new Harry Potter fanfiction was published yesterday, but I totally forgot to mention it here - please forgive me.


Defence, Pretence, Offence
Chapter 02/70 - Introductions 
by Beren (aka Tasha)

Summary: The threat of open war in on the horizon. The Order and the Ministry are of one accord and both know that where Harry Potter is, Voldemort will eventually be. Preparations are being made and this time the side of the light will not be caught unawares.

Summer classes, sabotage, revelations about Draco's father, teaching and the final showdown with Voldemort all await Harry and Draco in this exciting sequel to Gold Tinted Spectacles (LJ | AO3 | Wattpad).

Warnings: This story is canon compliant until the end of Order of the Phoenix and then goes AU. None of the HBP or Deathly Hallows plot will be used, or the Horcruxes for that matter since this story was planned before we knew the details about those things, and hence has it's own fanon. This includes birthdays and other information that have since been revealed on Pottermore and in further productions.

Links to CH02: LJ | DW | AO3 | Wattpad
Link to other parts: LJ | DW | AO3 | Wattpad 

New chapters will be posted every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta get back into the swing of things after the holiday too. Especially with a release coming up. lots of marketing to do with that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.