Friday 16 October 2015

Harry Potter Again! Because Harry Potter is Awesome ... and stuff! - #FanFridays 8


Welcome to another Fan Friday where I get to squee and geek out about things I love. I have Harry Potter on the brain at the moment so I've picked that topic again :).

Harry Potter Again! 
Because Harry Potter is Awesome ... and stuff!

If you read my NaNoWriMo post then you already know this, but for those that didn't I have decided to writer Harry Potter fanfiction for this years 50K challenge. (You have to write 50K on a novel in a month).

Way back in the dim and distant past - 2003 to be precise, which sounds like it should be closer than it is, I wrote a Harry Potter fanfic called Gold Tinted Spectacles (163K wds). I published it in weekly, 5 chapter chunks though November and December of that year to Livejournal and Fictionalley. It was one of the most amazing fandom experiences I have ever had.

Wittegen Press
$6.79 | £5.69
Amazon | Other
It was in the high days of Livejournal when that was the fandom place to be and I had some wonderful interaction with readers all through the publishing. I received some great feedback and some beautiful constructive criticism. So much so that in Feb 2004 I re-edited the whole thing and republished (which is the version currently on AO3).

This was the fic that launched me full speed ahead into writing fanfiction. I had written some before, but never in the quantity that I did in Harry Potter fandom. I fully believe it was the fandom that motivated me. There was always someone with a kind word or a piece of advice and it is a time I remember very fondly.

The Harry Potter fandom is not quite as lively as it used to be, but it is still very much alive and kicking. This makes me very happy.

I've actually been through GTS to get ready for NaNo and have edited it yet again (we live to improve) and I will be republishing the new version after November. Nothing major has changed, but I've removed some adverbs and some epithets (and here I thought that's what I was doing in the first re-edit too ;)). I have even designed a cover for it so that I can post it on Wattpad as well as LJ and AO3.

The sequel is called "Defence, Pretence, Offence" and is set directly after the end of GTS. I'm actually quite excited about getting back to it. I already have 50K words of it written, because back in 2004 I had every intention of completing it, but I never did. Since GTS is 163K words, I'm hoping to get DPO almost finished during November, but I don't know if I'll quite get there. I am very much looking forward to dipping my toes back into the Harry Potter fandom - I have missed it.

It's been a while since I even wrote a serious amount of fanfic because I've been focusing on my original work, I hope I haven't lost my touch :).

Do you write or read fanfic? Do you have fond memories of the Harry Potter fandom, back in the heyday when we were waiting for the books to come out and Livejournal was full of meta and discussion and fanfiction? Do you remember the shipping wars?

The Share a Scare Halloween Blog Hop will run on the 31st October as you would expect, but now is the time to sign up.

Have something a little bit scary to share? All bloggers, authors and artists welcome. Just click the link to see all the details:


Authors might also be interested in this blog hop. The Trick-or-Treat blog hop is run by the lovely Patricia Lynne and the idea is to give away free books to trick-or-treaters visiting your blog.

3 comments:

  1. I am really excited about this! GTS was one of the first fanfics I ever read and introduced me into this wonderful world of fanfiction. I never thought I would be an avid Harry/Draco fan, but to this day they are one of my favourite OTP.

    I go back and reread GTS about once a year so I will have to go back to reread and then eagerly await "Defence, Pretence, Offence"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you're looking forward to it :) I very much hope I can make it live up to expectations.

      Delete
  2. Is this online as off yet or is it to be purchased because either is fine by me as long as i can have it now. GTS is an awesome fanfict.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.