Wednesday 4 July 2012

100Things #12 Stake Land a review

Title: Stake Land
Staring: Connor Paolo, Nick Damici and Kelly McGillis

I'll start with the good things about this movie:

not bad acting,
decent script,
good special effects,
a plot that almost hold together


So you're probably wondering why I'm not raving about it then, correct?

My major problem with this film is that it's not a vampire movie. It's a zombie apocalypse movie masquerading as a vampire movie because the monsters happen to drink blood, dislike sunlight and you can kill them with a stake through the heart.

You can also kill them by a central nervous system disconnect (zombies), they don't think they just attack (zombies) and they've spread like a plague over the planet (zombies). It's Day of the Dead with blood suckers rather than brain eaters.

I like my vampires to have a brain. I don't mind if they are pack like and have a few doing the thinking for the others (e.g. John Carpenter's Vampires) or if they're just independent hunters (e.g. most of the other vampire movies), but just mindless killing machines is rather lacking IMHO.

Now this wouldn't totally put me off, I have been known to enjoy a good zombie movie, but the second problem with this one is it's really boring in the middle. It was a fast forward job when eventually Rob and I just couldn't take it any more. The one plus point is that I did care about Martin, the lead character, enough to actually forward through it to find out what happened. The fact that I predicted the whole climax of the movie probably didn't help me enjoy it.

So yes, this was really not my type of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.