Welcome to my Blogger page, thank you for visiting. This is where I will share my reviews of books, movies and other things I enjoy. If you would like to see my ramblings, fanfiction and other general posts, please visit my Livejournal: beren_writes. Visit my pages to learn about me and my books.
Top set of links above are external links, second set are pages local to the blog.

Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Time to Take the Random Out of Writing #WriterlyWednesdays 28


Good morning and welcome to my blog for Writerly Wednesday this week. Today I do not have a guest blogger, but I am still seeking blogger, authors, cover artists, comic people or anyone to do with writing/books - please see this post for details.

Time to Take the Random Out of Writing

This week I made a decision - my writing time is too random.

Being an indie author I have so much to do that is not just writing my next novel or short story, that my days seem to vanish without me actually getting any "proper" writing done.

I think this has to do with lack of organisation.

I get things done, but not as efficiently as I would like and I don't think I apply enough discipline.

So, what I've decided to do is organise my day - completely.

I've decided on a daily schedule:
  • Up until 9 o'clock - social media responses, set up etc
  • 9 - 11 am write blog posts/ format guest posts etc
  • 11 - 12:20 - Short story writing
  • 12:20 - 12:30 - pre-lunch exercise
  • 12:30 - 13:30 - lunch
  • 13:30 - 15:30 - short story or other book/company stuff like blurbs, covers, submissions, emails etc
  • 15:30 - ?? - work on latest novel
Now this isn't designed to be written in stone - if I have a book launch coming up or something else, I plan to adapt it, but this is the basic one for what I have on now. No doubt as I start to use it I will find I haven't set it up quite right yet, but it's a start. There will also be the odd tea break in there because sitting at a desk that long is a very bad idea :). Also kitty breaks because if anyone thinks I am going to get away without giving kitties a love when they leap on my desk, you don't know my cats :).

I know if I am stricter with myself I will be more productive.

I've also decided to record exactly what my output is per day - to see how it's working. For now this is going to be private, but I might start doing it publicly to keep me honest :).

Wish me luck :) I will let you all know how it works out.

Do you have a writing schedule, whether daily or other? Are you strict with yourself? Does it help?


I am seeking writers and book people of all kinds to feature on Writerly Wednesdays. If you are a blogger, comic creator, cover artist, author or anything else to do with writerly things I would love to host you.

6 comments:

  1. I tried something similar a while ago - I even scheduled it into my Outlook calendar so I got notifications when I should change tasks. It worked well, but now my day-job hours vary so much, it's not as easy.

    These days, I do my social media when I'm drinking cups of tea, and write when I'm not (so I can use both hands on my WIP). It's surprising how much tea I drink though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually started this yesterday and it worked really well - now to just keep it up.

      Since I am very lucky and this is my day job it is much easier for me. I am discovering that for some reason, even though it is me telling myself to do things, because I have formalised it, it seems to work better than when I just normally tell myself to do things. My psyche is a weird place ;)

      Delete
  2. Hope your schedule continues to work well for you. So many writers seem to be pressed for time to write these days. Having a job doesn't help either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. I keep saying I need to give myself a limit for social media, but I have yet to follow through. ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a hefty schedule. My creative flow works better in the morning so that's when I get my writing done. I leave the afternoons for blogging and doing other writerly stuff - such as blurbs, book covers etc. Wishing you lots of luck with all that you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the new schedule. Mine is...random and unlikely to change. I do try and write in the late afternoon/early evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.