Thursday 19 April 2018

AtoZ2018 - Q is for ... #MovieMonsters #AtoZChallenge


Q is for ...

Q is always a difficult letter on the AtoZ, but it's one of those letters I have always liked - no idea why *shrug* :). That being said I only have two monsters for you today, but I hope you will like them both.

Scariness Rating


The little skulls by their name are my scariness rating as to how monstrous and scary I think the creatures are when seen in their films.
  •  1 skull (not scary at all) - 5 skulls (very scary)
  •  and there is a special rating for a few - 5 red skulls (utterly terrifying)

Marsha Quist (The Howling)

Marsha is a werewolf, and not a very nice one at that. She is the sister of Eddie, who is even nastier and a serial killer to boot.

In the Howling, Karen White, a reporter, is sent to the Colony by her therapist to recover after being stalked by Eddie and helping the police to apprehend him. What Karen and her husband, Bill, do not know is that everyone at the colony is a werewolf.

Marsha uses her feminine charms to try and seduce Bill, and when she is refuted, turns him into a werewolf instead. She's something of a fruit loop, wanting the werewolves to revel in their nature rather than trying to hide in the colony.

The Howling is something of a cheesy 80s movie, but I enjoyed it.

Quetzalcoatl (Q - the Winged Serpent)

You might be surprised, but in this Quetzacoatl is female. She is a winged, dragon-like lizard and in this film takes up residence in The Chrysler Building. Of course she gets hungry, and New Yorkers make a nice snack, which puts her in conflict with the local authorities.

She's also nesting and has a cult of followers performing bizarre Aztec based rituals.

The effects are all stop motion because this movie is from way before CGI and it's not the greatest film, but I needed another Q :)

Q: Do you know any Q movie monsters that I didn't manage to find? What is your favourite stop motion creature?

AtoZ List of All Participants

15 comments:

  1. You did well coming up with two for Q, I couldn't think of any!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    ...what, no Quasimodo???? Stop motion? Wallace and Gromit of course!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q is always such a struggle, though you've done well! I haven't heard of either of these monsters, but they sound intriguing.

    Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) by The Backstreet Boys

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2, very nice! I was trying to think of Q monsters over the course of the week trying to figure out how you'd get any and I couldn't think of a single one.

    Song a Day
    Q is for Quinta Essentia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised at Quetzacoatl being the monster in a movie, but even more surprised that a therapist would recommend a werewolf colony as a place for a rest. Wondering if the therapist was also a werewolf or just in their pay or just totally unqualified.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I should watch The Howling -- sounds like fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! on the Q post - how you can 'like' such an irritating letter is quite beyond me :-) ...fav stop motion? Shaun the sheep...Wallace n Gromit have only watched these two that I remember, and both are equally fun..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quasimodo from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, although not really a monster in the end, but the locals are fearful of him - in the original black and white film in 1939 - not so much the Disney version!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm quite impressed you came up with two Qs!

    As far as stop motion, I'll give a tip of the hat to Gumby, in deference to my friend who is a hard-core fan. So much so, we thought perhaps that's what she'd name her first born. And she may well have if it had been green. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tasha - yes well done ... but Iain has a great addition - now that does frighten me ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know of any Q monsters and your picks aren't familiar to me.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    My A to Z’s of Dining with IC
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wondered about Q in Star Trek, although he is more mischievous than a monster. Quetzalcoatl is an interesting one as is Q-The Winged Serpent - especially as in the Mesoamerican mythology, the god is mild by Aztec standards, but the film is fun. (One of our dogs is called Quetzal after the bird linked to the god.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only Q that comes to my mind is Q from Star Trek, but he's not a monster. :)

    As for stop-motion - Nightmare Before Christmas, and Chicken Run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Q is a tough one but you did quite well with this film about werewolves and the dragon. I love anything by Ray Harryhausen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.