Tuesday 24 October 2017

Creepy Countdown Day 2 - Mirror Mirror


We're almost at Halloween and we all know how that get's the mind turning. It's often just the idea of ghoulies and ghosties and long legged beasties that make us hide under the covers, or run for the light switch, so from now until the big day I thought it would be fun to talk about ordinary things that scare us when the mood is right. These are the kind of thing good horror movies love to twist to get us going.

Mirror Mirror


Okay, I admit it, this one gets me all year round, it doesn't have to be Halloween.

We have a perfectly normal bathroom mirror. It's modern, it's practical, it's easily cleaned. Nothing antique or spooky or remotely strange about it. During the day I often glance into it as I wash my hands or as I clean my teeth etc.

However, you could not pay me enough to look into it on a night time trip to the loo!

It's utterly ridiculous, but somewhere in the back of my brain, that little voice that screams at the people in horror movies for doing really stupid things, is yelling that if I look I will see something terrible.

Admittedly it is always darker in the bathroom at night because I only ever turn the hall light on so my eyes don't adjust too much and make the walk back hazardous :), but it's still totally irrational.

We've all seen the poor person in the horror film innocently standing in front of the mirror, only they catch something hideous or lethal out of the corner of their eye.

Yep, so not taking that risk. Head down, wash hands, flee back to safety of bedroom - that's how it's done!

It gets me so often that I wrote a flash fic about it a while back and published it on this blog - Mirror, Mirror On the Wall.

Anyone else not like to risk the bathroom mirror in the middle of the night or am I the only one?

~*~
Coming October 31st
FREE for 1 day only for All Hallows Read

Possession is Nine Tenths of the Law
by Natasha Duncan-Drake and Sophie Duncan

Two spooky stories to give you chills.
Check back on Halloween for details of how to download.
poster by blablover5

4 comments:

  1. I went on holiday recently and it was so hard trying to avoid looking into the mirror in the middle of the night, it was quite big and right in the middle of the room. You're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank heavens it's not just me :D What is it about mirrors at night? So weird and spooky!

      Delete
  2. You are definitely not the only one! And it's not just the bathroom mirror. The mirror in our dining room is big and wide and can take in the stairs in the hallway out through the door. I can also see the mirror from the stairs as I go up them, so double jeopardy! Late at night, especially if I am alone in the house, there is absolutely no looking in that mirror as I go up to bed. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, after dark, mirrors suddenly become windows into the spooky world! I have never noticed the mirror when going up your stairs - now I shalln't be able to miss it! :P

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.