Wednesday 29 April 2015

AtoZChallenge2015 - Y is for Yaksha

Fictional Deities and Demons - AtoZ 2015
Hello and welcome to day 25 of the AtoZChallenge 2015.

Yaksha is a character from The Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike originally published in the 1990s, but recently re-released. He is the first vampire rather than the last, coming from 3000 BC.

Yaksha was created when a travelling priest raised a demon to try and cure a plague, but instead the demon killed he priest and entered the body of a child inside his dead mother's womb. Sita, the heroine of the story is only a child herself at the time witnesses all this and her father saves the child because there is no way to know if he is good or evil. Sita names him "Yaksha" meaning "begot from a Yashini (demon)".

It is not until Sita is grown up and married with a child that all those who witnesses the ceremony start to disappear and Yaksha reveals what he is when he kidnaps her. He then turns her into a vampire as well, making her surrender by threatening her sleeping husband and child.

When humanity realised what they were up against they called on Krishna to help them and Yaksha ended up fighting him, in the end accepting Krishna's grace and then going off to spend the next 5000 years hunting down and killing all those of his own kind.

I've never actually read these books, but I found Yaksha to be an interesting character as I was searching for a Y, and he's a vampire, so how could I resist? The books are controversial since they reference several different sacred beliefs of various religions, but according to Wikipedia there are people interested in the film rights.

Sources: Wikipedia | TVTropes | Fun Trivia

Have you read these books? What did you think of them? If not, would you read them?


My Other Blogs in the AtoZ: Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)



I publish my books through my own company, Wittegen Press, which I run with my sister Sophie Duncan. For information about our books, sign up for The Wittegen Press Newsletter:

Wittegen PressWe'll send you details of book releases, competitions and other news from our authors, BUT we WON'T spam you, or pass your details on to anyone else.

We will also give you 2 FREE ebooks just for signing up.

* indicates required

19 comments:

  1. Oh you Y people... I am still on X but in Hawaii, it's only 3 pm and it's still Tuesday. Interesting story line. I haven't read any of those books, but it sounds like good material for a series or a movie. Also, very weird that Yaksha then "converts" into killing his own kind!
    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting theory on how to cure a plague--doesn't seem like a demon would be helpful with that. Crazy, but intriguing all the same. Yaksha sounds like an interesting, complex character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting, but I'll wait for the movie ;)

    You can find me here:
    ClarabelleRant

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting idea for a vampire character. I especially like the idea that they saved him as a child because he might be a good person. Well, and he was, in the end, wasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read those books and would recommend them to anyone who loves a good Vampire story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a disturbing tale to be told, I am so into stories like this and the history behind it seals the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds creepy. Never read any Vampire books, about as much as I have is watched Buffy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vampire fantasy based on Indian mythology? This one sounds interesting!

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
    MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does sound interesting.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to check out that series. Thanks for another great book/series recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Last Vampire series is a guilty pleasure of mine. Nice choice! And before I forget, I just want to say how much I've enjoyed your blog this challenge. I can't wait to see what you post about when April is over.

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fact that series references different religions is intriguing. I might have to check these out. *adds title to stupidly long reading list*

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have not read this series. I was leery of pike. I think i will have to change my mind and put him on my infinitely huge-going-to-die-before-i-finish-it tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this series, but it does sound interesting, for me especially the part when he, after accepting grace, goes about "killing" his own kind. I love "reformed" bad boys! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Intriguing series that I never knew the original captain of the Enterprise wrote - in fact new author to me that confused me. The religious borrowing makes it a 'To Try' read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes...this post has it all...vampires, plagues, ancient demons and the possibility of resurrection of it all. Interesting to see how that plays out in a 21st Century movie. One more Demon to Go.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal
    AtoZ 2015 Challenge
    Minion for AJ's wHooligans

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds quite different for a vampire story. I like the origin story and the fact he turned "good" by killing his own kind!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read the books either, but you're right about the interesting nature of the back story. This might be another to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Christopher Pike? He was really popular when I was like 15. Among 15-year olds. I didn't read any of his work and you would probably be hard pressed to find anyone today (around the age of 35) who will admit to having read it, either.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.